Wednesday, October 27, 2010

One step at a time

Gotta make a doctors appointment for today, small group at 10am, have to make quesidillas for school party, have lunch at school with son, pick up daughter from school, take to ballet, pick up son from leadership program, son and I have hair cuts at 5pm, buy dry ice for church party, pick up 40 apples at store, deliver medicine to three people, volunteer at church from 6:30 to 8, sew costume for son, breathe, breathe, breathe....

As I leave the house this morning in total darkness, with my head lamp and reflective gear, all I can focus on is what has to be done today. It's my day off. I pray that my mind will stay tuned to what God wants to show me this morning, but my thoughts continue to fly back to all that has piled up on my plate. I am overwhelmed and I am beginning to be smothered. I feel like I am suffocating. How am I going to get this all accomplished? What if the doctor wont see her today? Is that a person up ahead of me? Will they even sell me dry ice? What did I just step over? Am I going to be late for the haircut appointment? How am I going to keep the food hot for the party?

My head lamp just catches the next 10 to 15 feet in front of me, yet I continue to go on, knowing that it is safe up ahead. I have run this route a hundred times before. I could do it in the dark.... I am doing it in the dark. I have been here before. God tells me,He has been here before. I don't need to see a mile down the road, only the next couple of steps, because he has run this route before. He tells me that his word is a lamp for my feet. Only my feet. He just brightens the path. Put one foot in front of the other. He promises to shed his light where my feet fall, one step at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Another great post Todd Turner, and I think you are in one of the most AWESOME small groups available!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not tell you how much I needed to read that this morning. I am feeling overwhelmed too......daily, but also with a task I have for the next three months. I am scared that I can't do it. Reading this reminded me that I can't, I must give it to God and leave it with him. Thanks Todd

    ReplyDelete