Tuesday, October 26, 2010

They just dont get it

Why in the world would someone get up at 4:30am to run in the wind and rain? What are you thinking, devoting 16 weeks of your life training for a race you have no chance of winning? Are you serious? You spend how much money on running shoes? How many times a year?

Most people just don't get it. They don't understand why I run. Some folks have an idea or theory, but very few know the whole story. So stick with me.... January 1, 2005 i weighed 200lb, getting ready to turn 37, overweight, unable to play around with my kids without losing my breath. I decided that if I wanted to be an effective husband and dad, I was going to have to get in better shape; the fact that my father had a heart attack at age 40 always hung in the back of my mind. I started walking every day and trying to eat right. My sister invited me to run a half-marathon early May of that year. I accepted. She provided me with the training material I needed. 5 months and 40 lbs later, we ran the Flying Pig 1/2 marathon. I guess the bottom line is, I started running to avoid an unfulfilling life and an untimely death.

In the past 5 years, my reasons for running have changed. Now, I truly enjoy it. I don't fear an early heart attack anymore, instead my life has more energy. My attitude is better. I work out my problems on the road, thinking about yesterday, today, and tomorrow, before most people crawl out of bed. I want everyone to feel this way. Feeling the success that comes from the struggle and persistence. But sadly, few people will ever dare to lace up those shoes and step out the door.

Memorial day, 1989, while mowing my mom and dads yard, God talked to me. He knew that I was not satisfied with my life and that I wanted more than just going to college and existing. He invited me to join him on a journey that would change my life. I accepted. He provided me with everything I would need to succeed, his word, his presence. Three months later I returned to college ready to run the race set before me. I guess the bottom line is, I started this journey to avoid having a lousy life and eternity in Hell.

In the past 21 years, my reasons for accepting God's challenge have changed. Now, I truly enjoy it. I don't fear Hell anymore, instead I await Heaven. My attitude is better. I work out my problems with Gods help while most people just lay in their misery. I want everyone to feel the way I do. Feeling the peace, joy, and love from a continuing relationship with the most powerful being in the universe. But sadly, few people will ever dare to accept his invitation.

Why in the world would you volunteer 2 nights a week with a bunch of crazy kids? Why would you give away over 10% of all the money you make? Are you serious? Why would you spend the rest of your entire life following the teachings of some guy who walked this earth 2000 years ago? They don't understand why I follow him. Most people just don't get it.

2 comments:

  1. You rock, Todd Turner!!! I have run one half marathon and I thought I was the only one that spent the entire run thinking of an analogy between the run and my spirtual run to heaven. I love how I feel when I feel especially close to God and I love how I feel when I am running. Yet, I still allow myself to slip away from God and to get out of the habbit of running. When I crossed the finish line, it didn't matter that I wasn't first, I don't think I would have cared if I had been last. I had done my best I could have done at that time and I felt so close to God. The closest I have ever felt to him other than times that my life had been in complete turmoil and I was turning to God to rescue me....so, I get it. I get why you do it. I admire why you do it. And, I pray for the motivation to get back into it. On both counts. Today I am spiritually and physicaly out of shape. I pray tonight is the night that I start to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two months ago, while running in town on Sunday morning. I caught up with two friends also running (father and son). The father asked me, instead of how's your running, how's your walk the the Lord.... I honestly told him, not the greatest. He challenged me to make the next week better than the last. To do it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete