Thursday, October 21, 2010

How do you do it?

So, I am determined to do better, much better, at my next marathon. I started back running this week after taking a week off to recover from my disaster on 10/10. There is a 5 week mileage build-up plan that I have used in the past, that I decided to use to ease back into it. This week I have run 3 miles on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

What do I do after I build my mileage back up? Where do I find the answers? There are books, Internet articles, (even blogs), chat rooms, magazines all devoted to helping people become better runners. I feel somewhat overwhelmed. What method do I use to get faster? When it comes to weight training, what exercises should I do...not only that but how many repetitions, with how much weight, how may times a week, for which muscle groups? I just want to scream. There is so much information that I have been flooded almost to inaction.

It's sort of like letting my 9 year old get a pack of gum at the store. There are so many choices that he gets frozen in the possibilities. Come on!!! Just pick a pack of gum already!!!

Recently I have been involved in a small group study about a book called "Crazy Love," by Francis Chan. Don't read it. He let's us know that there is no such thing as a "lukewarm christian". It has overwhelmed me much in the same way as this running thing. The author asks us to take a serious look at our devotion to God. Are we giving God leftovers? Do we truly love him? In examining my spiritual life I have come to the conclusion that I have not been giving my best. I really need to put my faith into action. The question becomes...How do I do it? Where do I begin? What is right? I feel frightened almost to inaction. I am frozen in the possibilities.

How do you do it? Where do you begin? These are not trivial questions, but rather eternity changing challenges. Luckily, you only have to go to one place for the answers. I will begin by re-reading my bible as if I have never read it before, like a 12 year old, and move when he calls. Just like running....I will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment