Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Is "just finishing" good enough?

I have been content in my running. I have been content to logging my miles religiously, following a plan set out by experts. Just running with the goal of finishing. Wow.....a goal of just finishing. Well, I finished the Steamtown Marathon on 10/10/10, however I am far from satisfied. Everyone seems so apologetic..."At least you finished, I could never do that." Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate their support and concern, but "just finishing" is not what I'm in this for. Not any more.

What if we treated our spititual walk the same way I have been treating my marathon training? Our spiritual life has been equated to "running a race." Am I, are we, content in just finishing? There is more to running than finishing. You have to log miles (which I do without fail), but you also have to weight train, stretch, eat right, do core excersices.....etc...(all of which I dont even begin to do). I want to finish my next race knowing that I did everything I could to finish strong, harder, faster, better. I feel that in my spiritual life, I have been content in "logging my miles." I dont want to to that anymore either. We need to put our faith into action, excersice our faith, study, share, work...... I want to finish this race knowing that I put everything out there. I want to finsh strong, win the prize, and be told "Well done" not "at least you finished."

No comments:

Post a Comment