Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'm Weird

The alarm went off at 5:00am, I got up, dressed and went outside. This morning it was 17 degrees with a wind chill that made it 2 degrees. Freezing. No...below freezing. I was fine. I knew what the conditions were going to be the night before and laid out my clothes accordingly. I ran my 4 miles and came back inside to the warmth of my home.

During my run God talked to me. He talked a lot. He talked to me about my pace, about being prepared, about protecting myself, about the cold. What really hit home with me today, is that God told me I was weird. Someone today said "I was committed...or at least should be" for running outside this morning. Yeah, I'm weird. Weird for going out in the brutal cold. Weird for waking up before the world gets moving. Weird for doing what others think is not normal.

Weird for following him.

Lately, the fact that I am not normal has been visibly evident. I don't treat people the way the world does, I expect more from my children than the world does, I handle my money with more care than the world does, I love my wife with more devotion than the world does. I'm not perfect. I'm just different.

Honestly, sometimes I just want God to let me be like everyone else. Its so much easier and self-serving to let the world dictate who I am. I see the commercial and think..."If I didn't tithe that could be mine." I come home exhausted and think.."I provide for my family by working 9 & 1/2 hours a day, I shouldn't have to wash the dishes." My kids have some activity after school and I think..."I do everything for them. Cant I have a minute to myself?" Whenever I start to feel that way, he convicts me and shows me how awesome it is to be weird. How awesome is it to give my money to help others? How awesome is it to have a meal every night I come home? How awesome is it to have children that love me so much that they want me to be an active part of their lives?

Getting up while its still dark to run outside in single digit temperatures seems weird to most folks. Trying to live your life by the teachings of Christ seems weird to others.

I like being weird.

I think my kids might be weird too. I sure hope so.

3 comments:

  1. your 'weirdness' is something i look up to. i can only hope i'll be as weird as you someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your very weird family. Your weirdness has inspired me to be weirder every time I have spent time with any member of your family. I truly pray that I can be as weird as you someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to being weird, TT! And I'm sure Mrs. Turner and the junior Turners appreciates your weirdness beyond measure. Soldier on!

    ReplyDelete