Saturday, November 12, 2011

Hulk Hands, Thong, and Mask





One of my brothers said he would run with my sister and I on three conditions. He wanted to run only wearing a pair of Hulk hands, a luchador mask, and a thong. Can you picture that? My brother is no little guy. Running a 5k looking like a Ray Mysterio/Incredible Hulk amalgam only wearing butt floss. He said he might not finish but he sure would get on the front page of the local newspaper. That year for Christmas, I got him all three. Nothing beats watching a big old biker boy unwrap a pair of Daisey Fuentes extra large rhinestone studded thongs. Luckily, I only had to watch him try on the mask and gloves. Wow. I wonder if he ever put on the thong. Needless to say, he never ran with us, but I did give him the opportunity. I gave him what he said he needed in order to start.

If you have read any of my blogs, you will have found out that I started running because of my sister. She inspired me and challenged me to run a half marathon. She gave me advice. She got me a training schedule and checked on my progress. We ran the Flying Pig Half together. My sister gave me what I needed to get started. She gave me the opportunity.

That first race helped me get healthy. I lost a lot of weight, lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol. I gained greater stamina and a marked improvement in my state of mind. Most of all, running has really taught me immeasurably more about my God. God opens up my eyes almost every time I hit the pavement.

Today all I could think about was all the terrible things going on in the world. Horrible things. Even in my own hometown. I made the mistake of listening to the news while I ran. Never again. Never again will I listen to the news while I run. That was stupid. Having the sins of man pounded into your ears over and over for 5 miles was to much to bear. It has captivated my mind all day. All day, until tonight.

My brother had a heart attack today. Luckily, he will be fine. He will have to make some life changes, but he will recover. He is very tough and strong willed. He is an amazing guy and I love him. I don't want to think about child abusers when I run. I don't want to think about robberies when I run. I don't want to think about..... I want to think about the fun I have had with my brother when I run. I want to think about my family when I run. I want to think about all the blessings God has given me when I run. I'm glad that God has given my brother another opportunity. Given him what he needed to get started. Another chance. God gives them to each of us every day.

I don't want to think about sad things when I run. I want to picture my brother in a mask, gloves, and women's underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment