Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Wife


Let me start off by saying, "I love my wife." This year we will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. I asked her to marry me and in a moment of weakness she said yes. Actually she asked "is that ring real?" Anyway you get the drift.

If you have never met my wife, she is one of a kind. First and foremost she loves the Lord, with all her heart. She soaks up the word of God at every opportunity. Cathy is also extremely intelligent. I hate to say it but she graduated ahead of me in high school. If Cathy wanted to be a nuclear physicist she would go to school at night, while having 2 jobs, taking care of our family and still graduate first in her class a year ahead of schedule with a minor in brain surgery. She is funny. I mean, really funny. Sometimes when she starts laughing, she cant quit. I wish you could hear her. It's hilarious. Her sense of humor is witty, clever,.... I don't know how to describe it. One last thing that is interesting about Cathy is her mastery of "the art of persuasion". She doesn't believe this, but its true. If you ever sell your soul to the devil, Cathy can talk the devil into giving it back to you. She is that good....which brings me to Tuesday morning.

The alarm went off at 5:00am. Time for me to get up and log 4 to 5 miles. I am exhausted. I have been staying up late and not resting well. I decide to reset the clock and go back to bed...but I made the mistake of waking Cathy in the process. "Aren't you going to get up and run?" "No, I am so tired. I really need to sleep." "You should run." "Cathy, I am worn out." "You know you'll feel better, if you go run." "I don't want to run, I want to sleep."....nothing.....nothing...

So needless to say I finished 4 miles that morning. It was refreshing in the cold morning air. My pace was faster than normal. I had gotten plenty of sleep. She was right, I did feel better. Cathy even asked me that morning after all the kids were up getting ready for school.."Don't you feel better now?" I responded jokingly, "I'm not answering, I'm supposed to be mad at you?" She laughed. She was right.

Thank you Cathy for persuading me to get out of bed. Thank you for holding me accountable. Thank you for re-enforcing my commitment to running.

What if we did that for each other when it comes to our spiritual lives? Checking on each others devotion to the word, worship, and fellowship. What if someone made you think hard about how serious you are when it comes to the things of God? Would you be more apt to follow through on your commitment to him? What if, when you didn't want to study his word or do what he has asked you to do, someone loved you enough to say, "Aren't you going to run today?" "You should run."

"You know you'll feel better if you run." You need someone like my wife.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Thanks for your witness and encouragement Todd! You and Cathy are wonderful and I'm glad to know you both and be apart of your kids lives as well. God blesses us with a church family of believers bound by His grace, mercy and love. How great is our God!

    ReplyDelete