Saturday, January 29, 2011

Moses and Zits

Running for me has one MAJOR setback. One that I absolutely detest.

As I increase my mileage a strange metamorphosis occurs. I do get stronger. I have more energy. I have greater stamina. Most of the time I lose weight (not always, I love food too much). I feel better, happier. I am less stressed and generally more pleasant to be around. Many times when I get grumpy, my wife tells me to go for a run, that's how beneficial it is to me. You see running does the body and soul good...for the most part.

The amount of time I spend running is evident when you see me. It is written on my face. Acne. Zits. Pimples. It drives me crazy. Every time I start to gear up my training or running I revert to those dreaded teen years when all I could do was cry myself to sleep with a jar of Noxzema and Clearasil (or ProActiv for all you youngsters out there.) There is nothing I can do to prevent it. I know there has to be a scientific explanation involving increased testosterone production or something crazy like that. Maybe it has to do with me being so hairy. I don't know. All I know is that when I run farther and harder I get zits. I just want to put a bag over my face. (no smart remarks needed)

So I guess you are wondering where I am going with this. Sit back, you're not going to believe this. As I ran this morning complaining to God about reverting back to my adolescence, griping about how everyone will see my "wonderful complexion." I was reminded of Moses. Yeah, Moses.

Read Exodus 34. Cool chapter. Moses spent 40 days and nights with God on Mount Sinai(He had to replace those 2 stone tablets he broke). When he came down from spending 6 weeks alone with God "his face was radiant." Aaron, his brother, and all the Israelites were scared to death to look at him. All of Israel believed that if a man looked on the face of God they would surely die. God shined through Moses so much that this earthly man's family, friends, acquaintances didn't even want to come near him. They saw God when they looked at Moses. It got to be so bad that Moses had to put a veil over his face whenever he was with his people. He had to walk around town with a bag on his head. The only time he took the veil off was when he went alone to talk to the all mighty.

I hate the fact that the appearance of my skin is directly proportional to the amount of running I do. The sad thing is that the look on my face is also directly proportional to the amount of time I spend with my God.

I really wish I had to wear a bag on my head (no smart remarks needed).

No comments:

Post a Comment