Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Time to get Serious

Today begins my training for a couple of half-marathons at the end of April, beginning of May. Fifteen weeks to get in shape and prepare. Usually I train for a full marathon, but thought I would do a couple halves in the spring and try a full in the fall. This morning the weather was gross, light rain and chilly, so I decided to hop on the treadmill.

I turned on the TV and started watching the news while I tried to log 4 miles at 6mph. Then it happened. In the middle of..."Breaking news, overnight break-in", I felt compelled to get serious. Compelled to take this training to the next level. Stop just dabbling but really get to work. But not in running, in praying. I felt a call to pray.

I turned off the TV and began to get down to business.

I prayed for my wife, my children. I prayed for my pastoral staff. I prayed for my friends. I prayed for my work. I prayed for Haiti. I prayed for a group of Canadians. I prayed specific. Not just, "Dear God be with my children...blah, blah, blah." Specific. "God help Nate be a team player today. Bless Miriam's effort at school. Help Hannah today at musical practice to show others you. Help each of my kids realize that you are relevant. Relevant in academic team, relevant in dating, relevant". I prayed for our church. I continued to pray until my run was over.

How come I can set my mind to get up at 5am five days a week to run, but can't pry myself out of bed to talk to my creator and savior? I will push my body to the breaking point but wont open my eyes to read the word of God. I know that everyone has their moments when life makes it hard to talk to God...but I'm not everyone. I'm me. And it's time for me to pray with intent to see God move. It's time for me to read believing that my life depends on it.

It's time for me to train for real. It's time for me to get serious...and I'm going to do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment