Saturday, January 22, 2011

Turn up the Speed

Wow. I thought I would die. So, yes that is a hyperbole. Not die...just be put on life support in the ICU.

A "Tempo Run" goes a little like this. You run a mile at your normal best pace. For me that would be a 10 minute mile (6mph). After that mile you run 3 miles at a much faster pace...almost too fast. For me that would be 8:52 mile (7mph). Then you finish your run with another mile at your normal pace.

The first mile went great, then I turned up the speed. I thought my heart would beat out of my chest. My breathing became quick. I watched the treadmill....1.26mls...1.38mls....1.61mls... Would this ever end? There is no way I can keep up this pace for 3 miles. My chest hurts. Is that normal? Am I having a heart attack? I can barely breathe. My side hurts. Maybe I should quit. No you must go on. The whole purpose of this tempo run is to train my body to withstand quicker paces at a longer distance. If I can keep this up, when I run the half marathon in 14 weeks, I will be faster and stronger. But right now, I think I am going to die on this treadmill. Wouldn't it be easier just to keep things the same? I know that I can run a race training the old way. Granted I wouldn't get faster but I would be able to breathe. I wouldn't get stronger but my heart would stay in my chest. I wouldn't get better.

I have learned that you can't do the same thing and expect to get better. I should want to improve. I do want to improve. I have also learned that you can't stay where you are and go with God. I should want to go with God. I do want to go with God. He wants me to be stretched. He wants me to learn more, do more, experience more. He wants me to run so hard that I almost lose my breathe. He wants me to step out further on that limb till my heart starts to beat out of my chest. He wants me to not give up, but to push it to the limit in every aspect of my life. Only then can I really glorify him because only then do I truly rely on him. Only then can I run my best race.

Right now I hate Tempo runs. They hurt. The end of April, I will be thankful for them. They make me stronger. They make me faster. They make me better. Go ahead God...turn up the speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment