Thursday, February 10, 2011

I stepped in what?

Tuesday was a total debacle.

My alarm went off at 5:00am. I forced myself out of bed and headed downstairs with all my running clothes. Keeping all the lights off so as not to wake anyone, I made it to the "little boys room" (the potty). You never know when nature will call, plus it's a habit. My morning duty. As I sat there in pitch black, the phone rang. At 5:00am the phone rang. Have you ever been in the bathroom and have to get the phone? Finish quickly and sprint to answer the call. I was too late. The ringing woke Cathy and she had picked up the receiver. It was the school ..."I regret to inform you that due to inclement weather, school for Tuesday in Mongtomery county has been cancelled."

I should have gone ahead and ran, but nooooo... I thought, "Hey, I can lay in bed for another hour." So I left my running clothes piled on the bathroom floor and crawled back under the covers for another 60 minutes of rest.

My alarm went off at 6:10am. I never actually went back to sleep. Quietly I snuck back down to the bathroom to get my clothes. AHHHHHH!!! What in the world? Why is the floor all wet? Oh no. I stepped in what? I had peed all over the floor earlier when I was going to the bathroom in the the dark. Not only is it on the floor, but I leaked all over my running clothes!! I cannot believe this. I have to scrub the bathroom floor before I can run. First I have to sanitize the john, and then get new clothes. Quietly I tiptoe upstairs, gently opening and shutting drawers, in hopes of keeping everyone asleep. Change clothes, go back downstairs, touch the doorknob and....the dog starts barking. Yap, Yap, Yap!!! Stupid dog. Go back upstairs, let Grizz out of his crate, Dear God am I ever going to get to run? Go back downstairs....the steps are creaking. Let the dog outside to do his business (He better not pee on the floor, I have already had to clean up one mess). Let Grizz back in. Clean all the snow off of him. Finally I can run. I start out the door, walk down my driveway, put my feet to the sidewalk and....

The sidewalk is a solid sheet of ice. I do the splits right in front of my neighbors house. Forget this noise. I go back inside and give up running for the morning. Are you kidding me? Can anything else go wrong? I will run today!! I will!! I don't care what happens. Even if I have to run at midnight, I will run. Bring it on!!! Go ahead put every obstacle in my path, I will hit the pavement. And.. I did. I left the house in the dark at 9:00pm and got in 4 miles. It was so cold I had icicles in my goatee. I was bound and determined to log my miles. Nothing was going to stand in my way. Not even urine.

Too bad I don't treat my time with God with the same resolve. It seems that I allow any slight deviation from my planned day to interrupt or completely negate my worship, my prayer time, my bible study. The kids stayed up too long, somene spilled a drink, homework, bills, phone call, favorite show,....someone peed on the floor. Not enough time in the day to speak with the Creator of the universe. I lie to myself and say, "It's alright, there will always be tomorrow."

The funny thing is when I short change God, when I let whatever I have stepped in push God out my agenda, my day turns out to be a total debacle.

1 comment:

  1. so true...something Haiti taught me to look at differently...His time is precious!

    ReplyDelete