Saturday, February 5, 2011

Jesus in Gym Shoes


I run alone.

It's a choice. Many fellow runners have mentioned running together, but my schedule makes is virtually impossible to hook up. I get up at 4:50-5:10am during the week which seems to be just a little bit too early for most. On the weekends, I still get up before the butt crack of dawn, so I am usually done or on the homestretch before most of the local runners head out. I have become used to doing this thing by myself. It's peaceful, uneventful. I become focused on myself, contemplative. The running becomes surreal, almost "out-of-body-ish". I just do it. No cares.

Today was different, special, a privilege. I ran with someone.

Not just anyone, my niece. The experience of running with family, for me, is one of a kind. I have run with my sister, my daughter, and now my niece. Each time I count myself lucky.

This morning, when most college kids were stumbling home from their crazy partying, my 18 year old niece got up at 6:00am to run with her old uncle. The night before, I made sure she had the right clothes to keep her warm because of the 30degree pre-dawn temperature .She's got those goofy toe-running-shoes. Oh and she has three kidney stones, and recovering from a stress fracture last year. I know, crazy. I woke her and we headed out the door for a cold, damp 4 mile run. Then a strange thing happened.

I ran differently. I would check on my niece. I wanted to make sure she was fine. I watched where I stepped. I knew she was unfamiliar with the terrain. I would let her know what mile we were on. I gave her the opportunity to stop at 3 miles instead of 4. I told her when we would be going down hill and up hill. I made sure that she ran farthest from the road. She did not have reflective gear or a headlamp. I would slow down or speed up depending on what her pace was. I became constantly aware that someone was watching me, depending on me, expecting me to lead them on a path and deliver them safely home.

God let me know right away, that is what he does every day...if we let him. He checks on us. He guides our every step. He protects us. He stays by our side.

Not only does God do this, but he expects the same from us. We are called to be "Jesus in gym shoes" for those around us. There is always someone watching us, always someone one step behind us, always someone who needs us to slow down or speed up so they can have a person run this race by their side. To many we are the only way they ever experience God. We are "Jesus in gym shoes." Wow. What a special, daunting, privilege.

I wonder how I am doing at this? Sometimes, not so good. I have become used to doing this thing by myself. It's peaceful, uneventful. I become focused on myself, complacent. The running becomes surreal, almost "out-of-body-ish". I just do it. No cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment