Friday, February 11, 2011

The light

I used to run without a light. When I first started running I didn't really think anything about it. Getting up and running in the dark seemed to come natural to me. I never gave it a thought. Granted I could not see much of anything along my path, nor could anything see me. I was invisible to the world around me and everything was a blur, a shadow to me.

Some runners were adamant that I should use a light. They seemed to be genuinely concerned for my safety. I guess I wasn't running the way I should. Using a light was something that had never even crossed my mind. Apparently they thought that running without illumination was dangerous, reckless, and bordered on foolishness.

Running in total darkness did leave me extremely vulnerable. I couldn't tell what was around me. Any danger lurking around the corner or flying down the road could have easily put an end to my journey. Several times I was almost hit by things along the way. Often I would stumble over an unseen obstacle. I had felt uncomfortable, uneasy, and unsafe. Eventually, I listened to the other runners and realized they were right and I was wrong. I was missing out by doing this thing in "pitch black".

I use a light now. All the time. It really does make a "night and day" difference. It shows me my path. Now, I can see obstacles in my way. I don't fear the road or what I may find on it. Things that come my way know I am present. I am no longer invisible and everything around me takes shape and color. I even clothe myself in reflective gear. Not only do I run with the light, but I reflect the light from anything around me. I want to be seen. I want people to know I am there. I want to stand out. I am not content to just be on the side of the road, running aimlessly in the dark. I want, no need to illuminated and to illuminate.

I am so thankful that people cared enough to show me the importance of running with the light. I am so glad that they told me what I was missing. I am so overjoyed that I have the light now in my life.

The road is still long. The road is still crooked and hilly. The road is still not void of danger. The road is still very difficult at times. With light in my life the road is not a scary place anymore. With the light in my life I can see and be seen. With the light in my life my running takes on a brand new perspective.

Thank you Jesus for lighting my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment