Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Off Balance


Today the treadmill was off balance.

My treadmill is in the basement. That is not a big deal for most people, but our basement is not level. Living in an old house has it's pluses and minuses. One minus is that basements were an after thought in homes made before the 1900's. The floor in our "dungeon" was finished in the 1950's. They used wheel barrow after wheel barrow to pour the concrete one four by four foot square at a time. This makes for a very durable but less than uniform surface. In order to keep the treadmill level, I have to use pieces of wood to prop up the back. If I didn't do this, I would be continually running up hill. Heck, I feel like I am already running up hill all the time, I do not need that sensation while I am on the dreadmill. Tonight the stupid wood wiggled out from under the rubber covered peg three times in the last mile of my run. I would be in full stride at 6.3 mph when all of a sudden the machine would start shaking. Do you know what a pain it is to have to stop three times in the last mile to level out a treadmill? It is impossible to run like that.

I hate it when my treadmill is off balance.

I feel like my life is off balance. I feel like the pieces of wood keeping me standing upright are wiggling out from under me. To much is pushing down on one end, while I am letting up on areas that should be given more attention. I feel like I can fall off at any moment. I stop to fix it...no I stop to put a band-aid on it only to have it lose its balance again. What can I do? I need to make sure that God is my fulcrum. He is my measuring tape, plum line, level. I need to stop using pieces of wood, like good deeds and kind words, to keep my life straight and balanced.

Seek first the kingdom of God and everything else will work itself out. Easier said than done. Sometimes it seems so hard to hear God's voice, but I can always find some pieces of wood lying around.

No comments:

Post a Comment