Sunday, November 6, 2011

Great Expectations

Today I expected to run 6 miles in the afternoon. That didn't happen. What did happen?

Small group discussion on emotional healthy spirituality. Finding letters to my daughter from her baptism. Going through a dress-up box. Helping my son find his Nintendo DS (it was in the basket...Dad, I looked in the basket). Took our daughters to youth. Cooked Sunday dinner. Did dishes. Went to the groceries. Threw paper airplanes. Rode bikes in town. Taxi kids from small group. Scan papers for my wife. Oh yeah....Ran 3 miles.

I thought my day would be quite and lazy. I had a picture in my mind of how every hour would play out. If I would have had it my way I would have missed out on so much. Playing with my son. Chasing each other with paper airplanes. Talking to friends you meet while going for a bike ride. The chance to serve my wife and my children. I would not have met and had a chance to encourage two high school boys as I brought them back from a small group meeting. I would have never had these chances to show God's love if the day had gone as I had drawn it up.

You see, what I expect of my life and what God has planned for my life are completely different. I guess you could say they are miles apart. At least 3 miles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment