Saturday, November 26, 2011

Mirror, Mirror on The Wall

Today I ran on a treadmill in a hotel. Nothing like spending your morning alone, in a 10x12 foot room, while "A Mighty Wind" is blaring on the TV. The infamous water dispenser with the oil funnels to drink from and the world's roughest towels to wipe away the sweat. (I almost forgot the spray bottle of disinfectant you are supposed to use when finished.) Even the foreign treadmills are an enigma to me. It's like trying to drive a stick shift if you have only driven an automatic. The problem isn't only limited to, "How do speed this thing up?" or "How do you get this incline to go back down?" The true test is..."How do I turn this monster on?!?!".

Those features by themselves alone make that dreaded fitness room a booger. The biggest problem I had today was what covered the walls...giant mirrors.

Floor to ceiling mirrors. Who thought that was a great idea? Is it so I can watch my technique? Is it because they ran out of wall paper?Am i supposed to watch my flabby body wiggle while I work out and get inspired to exercise harder? Nothing like watching your "moobs" bounce while you try to run 3 miles. I know they are there, that's why I'm running. I don't need some sadistic exercise room designer to throw up a visual reminder of why I should be in the "fitness center." I'm not ignorant. I may be slow but I'm not stupid.

I rarely look at my spiritual body. What would that look like? I wonder if I look worse than I think. My spiritual fitness, I always thought, was pretty good. Granted I can use some toning or core work, but for the most part I feel like I'm in shape. I may feel like David but what if I look like a leper. It is important to exam where we are in our walk with God. It can keep us real. It can keep us from becoming complacent. It can help us to grow. It can show us parts of our lives that need to be stretched and strengthened. It can change the way the world sees us. It can make us more powerful than Goliath.

I'm afraid to look at myself in God's mirror. I may have "moobs."


Check out my personal blog
Http://Runinred.blogspot.com
All the cool kids are doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment