Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Distractions

Let me set the stage. Wind 30-40mph with gust to 60mph. 9:00pm. Intermittent rain. Dark, wet, windy.

OK God, I am staying focused. I am ready to hear you speak to me. I will stay alert. It's bad out here. Whoa..there goes a garbage can. I am listening. The leaves are flying in my face. What do you want to tell me tonight? Watch out!!! That falling branch almost hit me. I wont let these things distract me. I am still listening. The street signs are banging against each other. Speak to me Lord. The wind is so powerful, it's hard to move forward. I have to keep my head up. Why can't I hear your voice tonight? I am trying so hard to keep this lousy weather from blocking you out. Crap, it's raining now. Don't you want to teach me tonight? My phone is going off. More branches on the sidewalk, must run around them. My heart and ears are open, let me sense you. The traffic lights are swaying so much. I hope they don't fall when I run under them. God!!! I am here!! The wind is terrible. I have continually called out to you to give me a word and you won't answer!! I have fought against all these distractions. I have been in the midst of this storm running and have kept my ears and eyes open to what you want to teach me, but you don't respond. The leaves are slippery. Show we were you are tonight.

and then He whispers.

I speak to you all day long, but you don't listen for my voice. Use the same resolve to hear me as you go about your everyday. I am speaking and working all around you all the time. Why just try to hear from me when you run? I have things to show you minute by minute. Granted, life can throw some serious distractions at you, but that doesn't change the fact that I am continuing to call to you. Pay attention. Open your eyes. Look around. Keep your head up. Watch out for that garbage can.

1 comment:

  1. Love these posts....I think you should publish them in a runners devotional book!*

    ReplyDelete