Saturday, November 27, 2010

"Where the sidewalk ends...."

Today was a fun day. I got to run in a different town. I think it's fun for me because it new and different, sort of like opening a gift and having no idea whats inside the box. When I run in my home town, I sort of put things on cruise. One minute I'm at mile 1, then next minute I'm at mile 4 and can't remember what happened in between. Have you ever done something like that? Have you ever been so wrapped up in the familiar that time disappears? You look at the clock and then look back again to find that an hour had vanished. Sixty minutes lost forever. This morning was different.

I wanted to get in four miles, so I checked my handy dandy phone and mapped out a route that I thought would be close to my goal. I dressed for the weather, took my Garmin to measure the distance, and my phone....just in case. As I headed out, the breeze was cool, about 35 degrees. My right calf muscle ached (all because of goofing around two days before with the kiddos). My pace was right on target. Quickly, however, I stopped thinking about the normal stuff and began paying extra attention to my surroundings. There was a lot of traffic, more so than I am used to, but there was a nice shoulder to run on. I felt very safe. I turned down the second of five roads I would be on and the traffic was gone. Not only that, but a perfect sidewalk. The next turn, the same....nice. I started thinking about the temperature, pace, leg again, until I got ready to turn onto Royal Oaks Blvd.

Royal Oaks Blvd is up hill all the way. This would be a widow maker at the end of any race. Not only that, but it has some super curves. But the killer is...NO sidewalk or shoulder. I realized that I could either turn around and go back the way I had come or tackle it head on. I must admit that I was a little concerned and apprehensive but I decided to complete the route.

This little piece of the course was less than a mile, yet it was the most interesting. I did have to jump into the grass a couple of times. I almost slipped on the frost covered ground. I got a little winded and had to drop my pace a bit. But it was fun. I don't know how to explain it. It was different. It was challenging. It was difficult. It was an adventure. It was worth it.

God wants to take us on a journey. He gives us a route to follow, but most would rather stay on the sidewalk. It could be dangerous on the road. We don't like traffic. We like to see around the bend. Not knowing whats over the hill worries us. There is too much risk. The sidewalk is safe. I don't have to worry about the other people on the road. I can just run and never have to think about my surroundings. The sidewalk is safe.... and boring.

I'm finding out that stepping off that sidewalk and following God where ever he leads me is the best decision I can ever make. Give it a try. You'll see. It's different. It's challenging. It's difficult. It's an adventure. It is so worth it.

Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends

-Shel Silverstein

No comments:

Post a Comment