Sunday, November 21, 2010

"Off the wagon"

"Next time, Nate, you and I will split this. You take one piece of chicken, I'll take the other. I can choose one side and you can choose the other. I can't finish this." "Well you did have a donut and two biscuits." "I had one and a half biscuits." "Your daddy is off the wagon, Nate."

"Off the wagon?" Can you believe she said that about me? "Off the wagon." Granted I only ran twice this week. The weather was terrible and I have been totally exhausted. So tired. Now we have a guest at the house. Getting up early has become virtually impossible for me. But "off the wagon", come on. I realize I may have eaten poorly this week. I have been really hungry and everything has been so tasty. Homemade pizza....Yummmm. Fast food. And, I mean for real, a cookie jar filled with double stuff oreos. What am I supposed to do? But "off the wagon" seems so harsh.

I'm still a runner. Aren't I?

This week running has been on the back burner. I have let everything going on in my life dictate the amount of effort I apply to my training, or lack of training. I have given in to my appetite and my drowsiness. I have given my running my leftovers. I guess I have gone "off the wagon".

The good thing is... Tomorrow is another day. A new beginning. A chance to start over. I can decide right now, to get back on the "wagon" and I will. I love to run and will get my butt in gear. I will get up early, eat right, and hit the road.

I think I may have spiritually gone "off the wagon". I am attending church and working in the youth ministry. Maybe I'm still on the "wagon". I even dressed up as Zacheaus for the 4th and 5th graders. Surely, I'm still on the wagon. I am even attending small group meetings.....but still I feel like I may be "off the wagon". I'm not giving my all to him. I'm not listening for his voice or reading his word like I should. I am going throughout my day and thinking about Christ as an after thought. I am feasting on things for myself and giving him my leftovers. My leftover talents, leftover time, leftover thoughts, leftover love, leftover energy, leftover everything. Yep...Off the wagon.

The good thing is...Tomorrow is another day. A new beginning. A chance to start over. I can decide right now, to get back on the "wagon" and I will. I love to follow him and will get my butt in gear. I will listen, love, and act as he asks. I can't wait to hit the road with him. He cant wait to hit the road with me.

Guess what, his wagon is big enough for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment