Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Just because

I miss my dad. He passed away suddenly in a motorcycle accident a year ago, and I miss him everyday. As a child growing up he taught me many things, one of which was a love for all genres of music. Rock-n-roll, country, bluegrass, jazz, classical. Tonight I ran with my headphones in, listening to Tony winning lyrics and harmonies that my father had played for me when I was very young. You probably wont believe me, but I have the double album set of the original Broadway cast of "Jesus Christ, Superstar." Now...don't go judging me. I know some may call this sacrilegious and I forgive you. This was one of my dad's prized possessions. This music stirs me.

As I ran, I thought. Thought about Jesus' resolve. The anguish in his cries to heaven. The loneliness from everyone he loved turning their backs on him...even his father. The suffering he endured..no way around it. I thought, what have I done to deserve his grace in my life? What have I done to warrant him taking my sin upon his back just so I could be free from its weight on mine? I know...nothing.

He does it, just because. My dad used to say that too. Why did you get that toy for me? Just because. Why did you take that extra side job? Just because. Why did you suffer through death? Just because. Just because, I love you.

My iPhone stopped tonight on "Mary's song" and it has a line that says.."I don't know how to love him." That is so true. Its hard for me to get my head around God's love. He does what he does just because he loves us. Just because.

1 comment: