Thursday, November 11, 2010

Run in Red Part 2

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith." The Apostle Paul

So often the Christian life is referred to as a "race." Regular life is hard enough without our relationship with God being a grueling marathon, but fact remains that our existence is a hard fought race. For those of you who haven't figured it out by now, I consider myself a follower of Jesus Christ. Now, I'm not apologizing if that turns some of you away from reading my blog. I do ask that you try to be open minded. There is so much you can learn about your spiritual life from some "nobody's" insight on running. Why? Because...Life truly is a race.

I have decided to run my race in line with the teachings of Christ. In doing that, I have had to realize a couple of things.

First of all, I had to come to an understanding that I have screwed up in this life. That part was easy mostly because I reaffirm that statement daily (sometimes hourly). I mean we all goof up, right? Whether small or large, we all do wrong things we shouldn't and we all know it.

Second, was I had to believe in Jesus.. Now that is a little trickier. I mean, what does "believe in Jesus" really mean? Most people who follow the teachings of Christ do so because they were raised to do it and I used to fall into that category. Not anymore. I have read the word of God (I challenge you to do it), and believe it to be true. I believe that the almighty creator made this place to be a paradise, but we have screwed it up and ruined his perfect plan. I understand that in screwing it up we introduced death into this world. I realize that since we all have messed up we cant commune with God anymore and deserve death. I trust in the scripture that says that Jesus came to this planet and lived a blameless life and therefore didn't deserve death...but we killed him anyway. I also believe that he willingly let his blood be spilled so that he could take our place on deaths bed....But he conquered death, rose again and sits in heaven as my advocate to God. Now I can commune with God again.

Lastly, I had to let people know what I know. That can be even harder than the first two. Fear can grip a person when they allow themselves to be vulnerable. The world thinks most of us are freaks and nut jobs. We all want people to like us. What will my friends, family, colleagues think of me if they find out I am a "Jesus Freak"? What will I forfeit on this earth because I stand up for what I believe. Am I man enough to step forward and tell it like it is no matter the outcome...

Well, this is why I am writing this blog. This is how I can tell my story. God talks to me when I run, because the analogy is true. Life is a race. He gives meaning to his word in the little things that I experience when my feet hit the pavement. That is why I run in red.

This may sound gruesome, but I truly believe in the saving power of the blood of Jesus. Without it there would be just death. With it there is life and life abundant. Just as the Israelites, when in Egypt, covered their doors on Passover night with the blood of the lamb, so have I marked my life with the evidence of the lamb of God's sacrifice in my life. I want to live my life marked. I want to run my race covered with the blood of the Christ.

I choose to Run in Red.

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts, and very relevant to my life right now! Me and some other friends are also workong on what it means to be a real follower of God, and how to truly believe. The answer is love; and it's repeated over and over again in scripture. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista, I agree with you 100%. The biggest problem for most people, is their definition of love. To many people have never experienced "true love." They have a distorted picture because of what they have lived through and felt here on earth. Love is the the most amazing, yet most mystifing thing in all creation, and you are correct..."God is love."

    ReplyDelete