Thursday, November 4, 2010

Big Words

I didn't realize that running has its own language.

Lactate threshold, Fartleks, Fast-Twitch, Tempo-runs, VO2max, singlet, blah, blah, blah. It took me 3 issues of Runners World magazine just to find out what PR stood for. By the way my PR is 4:30, my personal record. The first time I went to buy running shoes (which is an experience in itself), I was asked if I need motion control, stability, or some other type of shoe. What??? Do I overpronate, supinate, or some other nate?.. I just wanted a pair of shoes. I didn't know I would need a dictionary.

Running can be intimidating enough, without having to know a secret code. I felt belittled, almost stupid, because, for the longest time, I couldn't carry on a "runners conversation." It would go something like this.."Hey are you incorporating any Fartleks or Temp-runs in the midst of you training? You know it can really increase your lactate threshold." I would respond in my best caveman voice, "Me go run now..."

When I try to be an ambassador for running, I try to leave out all the technical jargon and just keep it simple. Most people don't like big words.

Redemption, Sanctification, resurrection, immaculate conception, repentance, revelation, testimony... Just like in running these are important, yet confusing to the "non-runner." I don't like big words.

Being a Christ-follower can be intimidating enough without having to know a secret code. Keep it simple. I love the scripture after Jesus heals this guy who hasn't been able to see since birth. The religious leaders try to say that Jesus sinned by healing this guy, so they bring the blind man into court. Now this fellow isn't some learned religious scholar, just a plain man who experienced God in his life. I love what he tells the leaders..."I don't know if this Jesus is a sinner or not. One thing I do know is that I was blind, but know I can see." Pretty simple. Works for me.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great one, Todd. I think a lot of people are "scared" of church and religion because they don't think they know what others know. Fact is, we're all lost, just some of us are found because we want to be.

    ReplyDelete