Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Running in the Unfamiliar

Running in another town always makes me nervous. When I hit the road here at home it seems so easy. I can run 20 miles around my town and know where each mile marker is, even the 1/2 mile mark. I know where I will be at any given time. I can leave water or sports drink along my route and be guaranteed that it will be there undisturbed. I know which roads to go on and which ones to stay away from. People drive by, they know me and honk or wave. Running in my hometown is so familiar.

This week I am traveling. What to take with me? OK, so its going to be cold. I have to pack for 2 running days, Thursday and Saturday. I feel like Noah, 2 pairs of everything. Tights, gloves, socks, shirt, ear warmer-band thingies. One jacket, One pullover. Cant forget my phone holder (always carry it in a foreign land) and ear buds. Must take my Garmin forerunner, because I will have no idea how far a mile will be. Shoes, of course.

Whoa, I'm a little worried. Running in a place where no one knows me. I'm not familiar with the area. Which roads are safe to run on, which ones are dangerous. Will there be hills or straight stretches? How is traffic? Are drivers attentive or will it be like Death Race 2000? I hope the weather man gets it right or I will have the wrong clothes.

Being a Christian in the familiar is easy. There is no risk. I find myself putting my life on cruise control. How I respond to new challenges, that is where my true character is revealed. In unknown territory it can be a little frightening. I become uneasy when I get thrown into places where I don't know the path. God truly calls us to go to foreign lands. I don't necessarily mean Haiti or Africa. I mean places we have never gone before; opening your home to someone, giving more than you can afford, selling your prized possessions, working on your marriage, feeding the hungry, writing a blog...

Living out my faith in these places shows my true level of commitment to Christ. I think it requires more trust in him. You see I don't know the territory. He knows it. He knows which roads to go down and what the lay of the land is like. He knows what's around the corner and whether it will rain or shine.

Its sort of liberating if you think about it. I don't have to know what my path will look like because he has laid it out. He knows what I'll need and what I don't. He's got my back. I think I'll let him pack my bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment