Saturday, November 6, 2010

No more..."I'm Sorry"

I have never had to apologize for another runner. Runners root for everyone. We see the potential in every person. We want to encourage each individual to give running a try. We don't sugar coat it, but we honestly put out the best invitation we can by being truthful, encouraging, and sincere about the sport. Just today, Cathy, my wife, was talking to a member of our community who happens to be a runner. This lady told my wife that she saw something today while she was running...Cathy immediately interrupted her with.."I ran 1 mile today!" The runner applauded her effort, not belittling the fact that it was only 1 mile. Cath told her it was all she could do to go 1 mile. The long time runner lifted Cathy up, by telling her that little by little you will be able to go farther. You will get faster. Its just great that you are trying. No condemnation, just truthful, encouraging, and sincere. That's the way all the runners I have come in contact with would have responded. I have never had to say I'm sorry for a fellow runner.

Step up on the soap box.

I am getting sick of having to apologize for Christians... Or should I say people who call themselves Christians. By definition a Christian is a person who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. What does that mean? Theologically speaking....we could go on for days about that. I know it does mean, loving your neighbor as yourself. Loving the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. All the 10 commandments are kinda wrapped up in those two statements. Not stealing, lying, cheating, etc..... Well I'm getting tired of being accosted by non-believers because someone who claims to be a Christ follower continually shows something to the contrary by the way they live their life.

Being a follower of Christ is a radical thing, but most of us don't want to be labeled a radical. We just call ourselves Christians, and go about our day like nothing has ever changed. We wear a cross necklace or put a fish on the back of our car. Might even write something profound on social sites so everyone will know what we are.

Stop it. Take up running....running the race God has laid before you. Listen to what he says and do it. Just do it. If you don't, you're not a runner. Just a poser. I'm not saying "I'm sorry" for you anymore.

Brennan Manning said it best "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians. Who acknowledge Jesus with their lips then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

1 comment: