Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"You must be crazy....."

I love posting on Facebook right before I run in bad weather. Snow, sleet, rain, wind, super wind, a mixture of all the above, that's the kind of environmental hazards I'm talking about. Whenever I alert my friends that I'm heading out into an epic battle between "Heat Mizer" and "Cold Mizer" (look it up if you don't know who they are), I get all kinds of intresting remarks. Tonight was no different. Here are just a few of the responses I have received over the past couple months, tonight included.

"I want to sit in a chair when it rains outside"
"I'm in the hot tub"
"I prefer to be fat and warm"
"I'm going to eat Oreos while wrapped in my snuggie"
"Better put lead weights in your shoes or you'll end up in Oz"
"Your Crazy...but we already knew that"

I guess it does seem a little crazy to most people, that someone would leave the comfort of their home on a rainy, cold, dark night to run 4 miles. I can see why people would call me obsessed, consumed, blindly devoted. The reason they think these things is not that they have anything against me..... or running for the matter. They just dont get it. Running doesnt make any sense to them. Tonight while running I kept thinking about the people that passed me on the road in their nice cozy vehicles. "Look at that nut job, running in this mess," "What kind of screwball would be out on a night like tonight?" "That guy should have his head examined." I'm sure those conversations went on as I trudged along the side of the road.

Well, I keep telling everyone about my experiences with running. I let folks know how it helps me keep fit, physically, mentally, and spirtually and then they can decide if they want to try it or not. Who cares if they think I'm a little bit radical.

Can you imagine what Jesus's friends would have put on his Facebook, if he posted..."Getting ready to talk all day to a crowd of over 5,000 people without enough food to go around"..... What do you think they would have said?

"I think Ill just sit in my chair"
"I'm gonna hang out here where its comfortable"
"I am eating oreos while wrapped in my snuggie"
"You must be crazy...but we already knew that"

Isnt it funny how what we consider radical, Christ considered comman place. Give everything you have to the poor. Quit your job and follow me. Take up your bed and walk. If your enemy takes your shirt, give him your jacket too. Go feed these 5000 with this little kids lunch.

God calls us to be uncommon, to do strange things. He has wild things planned for us, but most of us just write it off as outlandish. Of course it's outlandish!! He has called me to go to Haiti in January, now that is crazy. What is he calling you to do? Dont worry if most people dont get it. Just keep telling them your story and let them decide for themselves. Who cares if they think youre a little bit radical. You must be crazy...but we already knew that.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts Todd! Keep up the good work and run a little extra for me if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had your courage to do all of the "crazy" things that I want to do. I am not where the hesitation comes from..lack of faith or trust in God? I hope not but that is probably what ut boils down to. Keep posting,Todd, you are an inspiration in many ways!

    ReplyDelete