Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Run in Red, part 1

"Success has a color, and the color is red. In fact, a recent study confirms previous reports that athletes wearing red uniforms win competitions more often than opponents dressed in other colors."... The Annals of Sports Psychology 2008

Really? I couldn't believe it. Does wearing the color red really give you an edge when competing? During the 2004 Olympics, scientists randomly assigned red and blue clothing to competitors. What they discovered was that when opponents where equally matched in fitness and skill, the athlete wearing red was more likely to win. From 1947 to 2003 the red wearing soccer teams from England's Premier League had a disproportionately higher rate of both winning home games and the championship than any other color. Is this the reason Tiger is always seen in a certain color on Sundays?

Researchers point out that "red fur, plumage, skin" is linked to higher testosterone levels, fitness, and aggression in animals. It also has a psychological affect on all involved, including referees!!! 42 experienced Tae-kwondo referees where shown 11 fight sequences depicting opponents in red and blue. The same refs were shown the same sequences with the uniform colors digitally switched. On average, athletes scored 13 percent more points when wearing red instead of blue. Not only does the color hype you up and scare your opponent, but the zebras love it!!!

I want to do my best when I run, especially on race day. I read up on running (a lot), train hard (for the most part), get good sleep (half the time), eat right (rarely). I roll out of bed at the butt-crack of dawn, get yelled at, chased by animals, dodge inattentive drivers, sweat, ache, freeze, sacrifice all to run my fastest and longest and bestest. We all want to be really good at something. For some it comes natural, for some it comes easy, for others (like myself) it requires grit, determination, and willingness to push ones self almost to the breaking point. If changing my clothes can make me a little bit faster, why wouldn't I do it?

I have decided to run in red.

1 comment:

  1. I am starting today...everytime I run..I will wear something red!

    ReplyDelete